Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Hand Dyed Silk Bias

I discovered hand dyed silk bias binding while working at an independent fabric store.  Since then I have used it on several projects and LOVED the results.  It's pretty easy and the silk dye is so much fun to use.  I bought a set of the ColorHue silk dyes from Art Threads and a 35 yard roll of silk satin bias (2 inch) from silkribbon.com.  This is the first time I have played with it at home, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this yet, but I'll think of something.  I'm starting to create a "recipe" book so that I can duplicate colors I really like in the future.  The swatches on the left were the solid colors that I used to create this marbled look on the right.  I need to take a picture in better light because I did like the blend of colors much better in person than in this photo.  I have used it in the past as the trim on my reversible wrap and as binding on my quilted purse, but that one was a beautifully muted kelly green with denim blues.  For this one, I'm think of making another quilted purse with an eggplant colored floral I just picked up by Sevenberry.  I'll keep you posted on  my progress!  Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment