Saturday, January 31, 2009

Cool Couture

Finally received my autographed copy of Cool Couture by Kenneth King. I really like this book and I will definitely try his technique for welt pockets. I am currently working on a linen mandarin jacket that does not call for pockets, but I love pockets on jackets that I will most often wear running errands and such, so I think I will alter this pattern to include the pockets. There are alot of chapters devoted to piping in this book, which probably would have come in handy when making the silk mandarin jacket, but oh well, too late for that! I think I probably could have found most the instructions for things like lapped zippers and perfect seam finishes on organza in old Threads articles, but nice to have in one place for reference. He includes some information on adding prairie points as finishes to garments which sounds kind of interesting since it's traditionally a quilting technique and a chapter on tassel making. The examples shown on passementerie "the art of making elaborate decorative trims and edgings from thin cord", are out of this world! Overall, it's a nice book to treat yourself to!

No comments:

Post a Comment